For more than 30 years, WHP Engineering Ltd (known as ‘WHP’) has been at the forefront of engineering development in the process and clean industries, delivering projects for some of the biggest names in pharmaceutical, biotech and industrial sectors, both in the UK and internationally.
WHP is an engineering company based in Gateshead, North East England and specialises in the integrated design, construction, validation and maintenance of hygienic, cleanrooms, laboratories, containment facilities, sterile processing environments and manufacturing facilities.
In 2016, the Business was strengthened by investment from Enact and under the direction of CEO, Ian Lichfield, the business has grown significantly securing projects which has seen exceptional growth through to 2019 and beyond. At the end of 2018 the Business employed, through a combination of employees and contract staff, a 140 strong team of planners, designers, programmers, engineers and highly-skilled, technical experts and support functions.
The business has made significant progress since the Enact investment, highlights include:
- Delivering a 58% increase in annual turnover
- Significant increase in the number and value of secured sales orders, securing continued growth for 2019
- Ongoing strengthening of the team with investment in business-critical roles providing the platform for further profitable growth
- Retention of existing key customers with repeat business
- Growth in new markets resulting from renewed focus and investment
- The business has now achieved its objective of transitioning to being a tier one main contractor and increased the scale of projects undertaken
Whilst great progress has been made during 2018, the management team continue to progress the strategy with a three-year key milestone plan to enable WHP to not only continue to grow but to ensure that it has the infrastructure to support the growth and continue to deliver profitable, high quality and timely projects.
Enact Investment Director, Chris Cormack commented “WHP has an excellent reputation within its chosen markets and a track record of repeat work with blue chip customers including BASF, GSK, Siemens and Akzo Nobel. We are delighted with the growth of the business which is testament its reputation in the market and the hard work of all the employees at WHP”
Nigel Hall, a founder and Managing Director of WHP commented; “WHP has experienced significant growth since it was founded by myself and David Weir. We developed an excellent understanding with Enact in a short space of time and I am delighted to have found an investment partner who shares our strategy, vision and desire to develop the market opportunities available and grow the business to the next level.”